Laboratory materials, instruments, or equipment pass from small rubber parts to large equipment with functioning complex. Each with its own level of importance within the operation of the laboratory. It's time to talk about one of those great equipment with complex operation. That facilitate our work within the laboratory, find out all about the laminar flow hood below.
- What is the laminar flow hood ? 🧪👨🔬
- Features of laminar flow hood
- How does a laminar flow hood work?
- Application of laminar flow booth
- Types of laminar flow booth
- What is a laminar flow booth for?
- Care and precautions of using the flow hood laminated
What is the laminar flow hood ? 🧪👨🔬
It is a carefully sealed station that was designed to avoid contamination of biological samples, susceptible to particles. To achieve this, the cabin air is passed through a reflux and purification system. Provided with filters that protect the sample from contamination. Generally it is a kind of cabinet made of stainless steel sealed so that it has no gaps or joints. They exist with vertical as well as horizontal arrangement and with a great variety of patterns in the air flow.
Are similar to what a biosecurity booth is with the difference that the air outlet inside the flow hood laminar goes directly on the operator's face. In addition that in the laminar flow cabin only the sample is protected. It is generally provided of UV-C lamp which sterilizes the inside of the cabin.
Features of laminar flow hood
This laboratory equipment consists of the following parts:
Differentiated and delimited. Below is a list of them:
- Armor or cabinet: Refers to the outer structure of the cabin in question, it is usually made of stainless steel. With the particularity of not having spaces or joints. It is a completely sealed frame, keeping the interior isolated from the outside environment. On the front side of this structure is provided with a glass shade. Which can open completely or only have two openings for the operator's arms or hands.
- Station or Work area: It is the flat space inside the armature intended for the realization of the different processes. All the necessary implements for the procedure are placed here. It is usually made of stainless steel to prevent oxidation.Filter or prefilter: It is a kind of opening in the upper part of the armor through which the air passes. Its function is to trap some microbes and dust particles.
- Blower or fan: It is located just after the filter and is responsible for sucking the air and moving it inside the structure.
- UV Lamp: It is present in some cabins already that its light acts as a germicide and sterilizes the inside of it.
- Fluorescent lamp: It is the one that provides lighting to the work area.
- HEPA Filter: It is a specialized and high efficiency that is located inside the cabin. Its function is to catch bacteria, fungi and other particles such as dust. This filter ensures the sterility inside the laminar flow cabinet, decreasing the chances of pollution.
How does a laminar flow hood work?
The basic principle is what its name indicates, the flow laminating air in the cabin, this is simple to explain. Through the use of consecutive filters that the air passes through until it reaches the area of work. The air is taken using a filtration system, passes through a filter primary and then by one or two HEPA filters. Thus expelling him in the area of work already free of pollutants.
Application of laminar flow booth
Its use, although it seems complicated, is actually quite easy if the steps are fully known. Below is a detailed list of the procedure for its use:
Select and position the elements that are required for the process that will be carried out inside the cabin.Close the glass screen and turn on the UV light for an approximate period of 15 minutes.Turn off the UV light and wait about 10 minutes before turning on the airflow.About five minutes before starting work, the air flow is turned on and the light fluorescente.Se performs the stipulated work or procedure.Remove all the material and sterilize the work area with 70% alcohol, turn off the fluorescent light and the air flow.
Types of laminar flow booth
In the definition of this laboratory instrument, it was made mention of horizontal flow cabin and others of vertical flow. The time has come to explain in detail what is the difference between them. Below the two types of laminar flow booth:
Vertical laminar flow hood:
It differs from the other type because inside the cabinet of this type of cabins the air moves from the top to the bottom. Does not require great depth in the workbench, making it more manageable. It is considered quite safe because it does not blow the air directly to the operator.
Horizontal laminar flow hood:
In this type of cabin the air flow is coming from behind the work area. But the blowers project it into the HEPA filters, where it is filtered and expelled horizontally to the workbench itself. By this influx in parallel the workplace is kept in constant flow. However the air hits directly to the operator which can reduce by a percentage the safety of its use.
What is a laminar flow booth for?
Carrying out processes with high sensitivity to pollution.Preparation of culture medium on plate.Cultures of microorganisms or plant tissues.Operation of electronic equipment with sensitivity to particles.Preparation of medicines within the pharmaceutical industry.
Care and precautions of using the flow hood laminated
The appliance must be sterilized with ultraviolet light before and after use, in addition no operation should be performed while this light is on. The operator who will make use of the cabin it must have the minimum biosecurity measures. As for her dress such as robe and gloves.
Now you know all the basic aspects related to the laminar flow hood, a necessary tool in specialized laboratories. Great help in matters of personal safety and sterile environment for processes. Do not forget to look at other of our publications so that you know much more about laboratory materials.
👩🔬 If you want to know other articles similar to Everything You Need To Know About The Laminar Flow Hood In One Place you can visit the LABORATORY