Paper chromatography is an analytical technique used to separate the components of complex mixtures. It is one of the types of chromatography that runs on a piece of particular paper that acts as a stationary phase, on which the compounds are separated as per their polarity with the help of the mobile phase (liquid). Paper chromatography works similarly to thin-layer chromatography (TLC).Here are some applications of paper chromatography mentioned.
- Paper chromatography is particularly applied for the separation of polar and non-polar compounds.
- It is used identifications of nucleic acids, amino acids, sugars, lipids and other biomolecules by the paper chromatography.
- It is used to identify contaminants in foodstuffs and beverages.
- Paper chromatography is used in forensic studies in investigations and crime studies.
- It is used to control the purity of pharmaceuticals.
- Paper Chromatography can apply to monitor the reaction of chemical synthesis.
- It is used as a qualitative method for identifying the analytes in a mixture.